Hawaii is a popular tourist destination, rich in beautiful natural attractions and cultural heritage. Here are some of Hawaii’s main attractions:
- Kilauea Volcano: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park offers the opportunity to see active Kilauea Volcano, one of the most active volcanoes in the world. You can walk the trails, admire the lava flows and explore the unique volcanic landscape.
- Beaches of Hawaii: Hawaii is famous for its beautiful white sand beaches and crystal clear waters. Some of the most famous beaches include Waikiki Beach on Oahu, Ka’anapali Beach on Maui and Hanalei Bay on Kauai.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Located on the island of Hawaii this park offers spectacular scenery of volcanic activity including Mauna Loa Volcano and Kilauea Crater.
- Maui: The island of Maui offers a variety of attractions including Hana Road with its spectacular views, Mount Haleakala National Park, Kapalua Beach and many more.
- Hanauma Bay: This is a bay on the island of Oahu known for its beautiful underwater world. Hanauma Bay offers excellent snorkelling opportunities with a variety of fish and coral reefs.
- Puuokohole National Historical Park: Located on the island of Hawaii this park offers unique cultural and historical sites including ancient temples and historic sites.
- Mauna Kea International Observatory Complex.
Hawaii is known for its high altitude astronomical observatories. Mount Mauna Kea is home to several international observatories including the Keith Observatory, Subaru Observatory and Keck Observatory. Due to the altitude and clean air, Hawaii offers excellent conditions for astronomical observations. These observatories are important science centres where astronomy and cosmology research is conducted.
Tourists also have the opportunity to visit the information centres and observation decks of some of the observatories, where they are provided with information about space research and also allowed to enjoy spectacular views of the night sky. This is a great opportunity to learn more about space and the scientific advances in this field.
However, it is worth noting that access to some observatories may be limited or require pre-registration, so it is recommended to find out information about visits and possible tours in advance.
- Ecotourism: Hawaii offers the opportunity to experience the rich ecosystem of the islands. Tourists can visit nature reserves, botanical gardens and parks where they can see unique plant and animal species, including rare and protected species.
- Cruises: Hawaii is a popular stopping point for cruise ships. Cruise tours offer the opportunity to get around the different islands and enjoy their beauty as well as offering various entertainment and sporting activities on board.
- Places of historical and cultural significance: Hawaii has many places of historical and cultural significance to visit. For example, Iolani Palace on the island of Oahu is the historical residence of the Hawaiian royal family. Also on the island of Molokai you can visit the historic Kalaupapa Park, which is a colony for sedentary patients.
- Waterfalls: Hawaii is famous for its spectacular waterfalls. One of the most famous is the Akaka Falls on the Big Island. Also on the island of Maui is the famous Hua’ilenuapi waterfall. A visit to these waterfalls offers magnificent views and an opportunity to enjoy nature.
Each island of Hawaii has its own unique attractions and charms, so it is important to diversify your trip and visit several islands to fully experience and enjoy the beauty of Hawaii.
Features of tourism in Hawaii
Tourism in Hawaii has its own peculiarities that make this region unique and attractive to travellers. Here are some of the features of tourism in Hawaii:
- Natural beauty: Hawaii is famous for its spectacular natural landscapes including volcanoes, beaches, waterfalls, scenic valleys and rainforests. It’s a place where you can enjoy unique natural scenery and spend time outdoors.
- Beaches and water sports: Hawaii is renowned for its beautiful white sand beaches and warm, bright waters. Snorkelling, diving, surfing, kayaking, parasailing and other water sports can be enjoyed here. Tourists can enjoy boat trips and wildlife sightings such as whales and dolphins.
- Cultural Heritage: Hawaii is rich in unique culture and history. You can learn about the traditions and customs of the islanders, visit ancient temples and museums, learn traditional crafts and watch dance and music performances.
- Gastronomy: Hawaiian cuisine offers a variety of exotic cuisine including fresh tropical fruits, fish and seafood, Hawaiian poke, kalua pork and much more. Here you can sample the unique flavours and enjoy authentic Hawaiian dishes.
- Adventures and outdoor activities: Hawaii offers diverse opportunities for outdoor pursuits. There are hiking, biking, volcano climbing, helicopter tours, jeep rides in the mountains and much more.